Saturday, November 3, 2012

That thing we call senioritis

People always talk about senioritis, the early stages... you know what I'm talking about. The anxiety to finish your school work... the physical need to be outside that you feel... that wrenching feeling like you are missing some experience by being in the classroom even though some mysterious force is calling you to be elsewhere...

What people don't tell you is senioritis, the late stages... you know that instant stupidity that somehow finagles it's way into even the most intelligent students mind beginning the last day of school... ie:
I don't consider myself a genius but I'm fairly smart... I'm that kid in the smart kid classes that doesn't get the lowest grade in the class but definately probably brings down the class average a lil... well today, monday, was my first official day of not school... the first day that, as a senior, I didn't have to go to school but all of the lil underclassmen did... what I did have to attend however was my piano lesson. Well during this lesson (which by the way started out with the inability to read music followed by the inability to know what music was followed by the inability to put words together to form intelligent thought to inform my kindly teacher of thus) my teacher, David, decided that I should work on a set of smaller pieces instead of adding another large piece to my repertoire. So he was standing, and he's a pretty tall guy, holding this book open and looking at the songs inside while I, sitting on a bench below him, tried to read the title. So there I sat thinking to myself... "Min-ee-ah-too-rays... hmm it must be some french piece..." and then suddenly David looked down at me looking at the piece, looked at the cover of the book and said, "It's called miniatures"... and I said, "gosh it's time for me to get back to school... So to you wise ones that have been through this phase I ask, why did you not tell tales of this hideous disease and simply allow us to wander in this state of idiocy? and to underclassmen who have not had the joys of senioritis yet I say, "you have been warned."

No comments:

Post a Comment